Dr. Raj Sahajanandan (copy)
HOD Surgical Oncology Department.
Senior Consultant, Anesthesia
Sultan Qaboos Comprehensive Cancer Care and Research CentreMar 22 to Present
Head of Anesthesia Department
Christian Medical College, VelloreMay 5, 2019 to Mar 22
Head of Cardiac anesthesia
Christian Medical College, VelloreJun 18 to Mar 22
Professor & Acting head of Cardiac Anesthesia
Christian Medical College, VelloreJun13 to Jun18
Christian Medical College, VelloreMar12 to Jun 13
Clinical Research Speciality Lead for Reproductive Health and Childbirth.
NIHR Clinical Research Network South West PeninsulaMay 2019 to Jan 2021
Chair of the Gynaecological Cancer (Tumour specific group)
NSSG for the Peninsula Cancer NetworkJune 2015 to June 2019
Heart & Lung Centre, WolverhamptonMar11 to Feb 12
New Cross Hospital, WolverhamptonNew Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton
Heart & Lung Centre, WolverhamptonMar 09 to Mar 10
Christian Medical College, VelloreJun 04 – Feb 09
Lakeshore Hospital and Research centre, Kochi, India.Feb 03– May 04
Maulana Azad Medical College, New DelhiJun 02 – Feb 03
Maulana Azad Medical College, New DelhiMay 99 – Apr 02
Ernakulam medical centerJan98 – Apr 99
Medical College TrivandrumJan 97 – Dec97
Medical College, Trivandrum, Kerala, India1996
Medicine and Surgery
Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
Diplomate of National Board
National Board of Examinations2005
Fellow of Royal College of Anesthesia
Royal College of Anesthesia, London2010
Certificate of Equivalence CCT
Postgraduate Medical & Education Training Board (PMETB & GMC)2007
- Raj.S, Preeta J. Paediatric post anesthesia care unit. In: Rebecca J. Editor. Understanding Paediatric Anesthesia. 2nd edition. BI publications; 2008 (13) p 126-135.
- Raj.S, Rebecca J. Neonatal Surgical Emergencies. In: Rebecca J. Editor. Understanding Paediatric Anesthesia. 2nd edition. BI publications; 2008 (6) p 60-70.
- R.Sahajanandan, Amit Mathew, Rahul Pillai. Anesthesia for Tracheal Resection Surgeries, Anesthesia Year Book 2023, Indian College of Anesthesia ( Accepted)
Peer reviewed publications
- A randomised control study comparing CMAC D blade video laryngoscope (hyperangulated blade) and Macintosh laryngoscope for insertion of a double lumen tube in patients undergoing elective thoracotomy. Amit Mathew, Roy Rajan Mathai, Bernice Theodery, Georgene Singh,Bijesh Yadav, Raj Sahajanandan. Accepted for Publication Anesthesia Essays & Research
- A system of accurate deployment of unconstrained triple fenestrated aortic arch endografts. G Joseph, VS Thompson, R Thankachen, J Jose, E Joseph,OK George, A Kota, R Sahajanandan. JEVT Jan 2022.
- Safety and efficacy of video DLT for lung isolation during COVID -19 pandemic. SK Dharmalingam, G George, K Davis, B Kuppuswamy, BR Gnanamuthu, R Sahajanandan. Annals of cardiac anesthesia 25(1) 107.
- Simulation with a colour indicator to help reduce contamination during airway management in COVID-19 times: An experience from a tertiary centre in India. Leah R George, SE George, I Dhawan, M Babu, AS Joselyn, R Sahajanandan. IJA2021 65 (11) 820.
- Preoperative anxiety among patients scheduled for elective surgical procedures during the COVID-19 pandemic? A cross sectional study in a tertiary care teaching hospital in India". Viola, Chelsea Thanga; Joselyn, Anita Shirley; Sukumar, Ashwin1; Sahajanandan, Raj. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia: August 2021 - Volume 65 - Issue 8 - p 619-625
- A randomized controlled study comparing CMAC video laryngoscope and Macintosh laryngoscope for insertion of double lumen tube in patients undergoing elective thoracotomyAmit Mathew 1, Jacob Chandy 1, Joseph Punnoose 1, Birla Roy Gnanamuthu 2, L Jeyseelan 3, Raj Sahajanandan. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. Apr-Jun 2021;37(2):266-271
- A randomized clinical trial comparing the King Vision (channeled blade) and the CMAC (D blade) videolaryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization” Jacob Chandy, Melvin Alex Abraham, Rahul Pillai, Sajan Philip George, Raj Sahajanandan Accepted for publication JOACP
- Efficacy of paravertebral block in “fast-tracking” pediatric cardiac surgery - experiences from a tertiary care center. Sahajanandan R, Varsha AV, Dharmalingam SK, Kuppusamy B, Karuppiah S, Shukla V, et al, Ann Card Anaesth 2021;24:24-9.
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation with a novel pre-packaged self-expandable dry-tissue transcatheter aortic valve: a case report John Jose, Paul V George, Krishnaprasath V., Raj Sahajanandan. European Heart Journal - Case Reports, Volume 5, Issue 2, February 2021
- Myocardial protection in cardiac surgery: Del Nido versus blood cardioplegia. Gladdy George A V Varsha Madhu Andrew Philip Reshma Vithayathil Dharini Srinivasan F X Sneha Princy Raj Sahajanandan Ann Card Anaesth 2020 Oct-Dec;23(4):477-484
- Thoracic Anaesthesia chapter Barash Clinical Anaesthesia South Asia Edition 2020
- Vascular Anaesthesia chapter Barash Clinical Anaesthesia South Asia Edition 2020
- Cerebral protection using percutaneous normothermic bilateral anterograde cerebral perfusion during total arch TEVAR in a patient with shaggy aorta. George Joseph Rahul Pillai Vinayak Shukla Srinivasa Babu K. PhD Shankar Manickam Viji Samuel Thomson Korah T. Kuruvilla Roy Thankachen Elizabeth Joseph Raj Sahajanandan . Journal of Endovascular Therapy 27(3) April 2020
- A randomized control trial to compare thoracic epidural with intercostal block plus intravenous morphine infusion for postoperative analgesia in patients undergoing elective thoracotomy. Santhosh Vilvanathan, Balaji Kuppuswamy, Raj Sahajanandan. April 2020, Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia
- Intraoperative lidocaine infusion reduces analgesic and anesthetic requirements in patients with high body mass index undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The Indian Anaesthetists Forum 21(1):23 January 2020. Praveen Benjamin Dennis, Kirubakaran Davis, Balaji Kuppuswamy, Raj Sahajanandan
- A comparison of King Vision video laryngoscope with CMAC D blade in obese patients with anticipated Difficult airway in tertiary hospital in India - Randomized control study. Arun Kumar Gautam, Anity Singh Dhaynee, Raj Sahajanandan* J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol 2019 Jul-Sep;35(3):363-367
- Comparative Evaluation of Haemodynamic Responses and Ease of Intubation with Airtraq Video Laryngoscope versus Macintosh Laryngoscope in Patients With Ischaemic Heart Disease. Ann Card Anaesth 2019 Oct-Dec;22(4):365-371Varsha AV, Gladdy George, Raj Sahajanandan
- Usefulness of ultrasound guided measurement of minimal transverse diameter of subglottic airway in determining the endotracheal tube size in children with congenital heart disease: A prospective observational study. Rahul Pillai, Suresh Kumaran, L Jeyasheelan, Sajan P George, Raj Sahajanandan*. Annals of Cardiac Anesthesia Vol 21(4) 382 -387
- Anesthetic challenges of a patient with communicating bulla coming for non thoracic surgery. B. Theodere, V.V Nissy, R Sahajanandan, R. Mariappan. Ann Card Anaesth. 2018 Apr-Jun; 21(2): 200–202
- A randomized control trial comparing the myocardial protective effects of isoflurane with Propofol in patients undergoing elective coronary artery bypass surgery on cardiopulmonary bypass, assessed by changes in N terminal brain natriuretic peptide. Balaji Kuppuswamy, Kirubakaran Davis, Raj Sahajanandan, Manickam Ponniah. Annals of cardiac Anesthesia, vol 21(1) Jan March 2018: 34 -40.
- Lutembacher syndrome: Dilemma of doing a tricuspid annuloplasty. AV Varsha, Gladdy George, Raj Sahajanandan. Ann Card Anesth 2017. Vol 20(4) 456.
- Low-dose succinylcholine to facilitate laryngeal mask airway insertion: A comparison of two doses. Leah R George, Raj Sahajanandan, Sarah Ninan. Anesthesia essays and researches 2017.
- Inverted left atrial appendage masquerading as a left atrial mass. Suresh Kumaran, Gladdy George, A V Varsha, Raj Sahajanandan. Ann Card Anaesth 2017 Apr-Jun;20(2):248-249
- An innovative way to reinsert dislodged Arndt blocker using urological glide wire Pillai Rahul, Ancheri Sneha, Dharmalingam Sathish, Sahajanandan, RajAnnals of Cardiac Anaesthesia. April-June, 2016, Vol. 19 Issue 2, 354
- Wire guided fibreoptic retrograde intubation in a case of glottic mass. Dhanyee, Anity, Pillai Rahul, Sahajanandan, Raj. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia. March 2016, Vol. 60 Issue 3, 219
- Case report of aortopulmonary window with undiagnosed interrupted aortic arch: Role of transesophageal echocardiography. Dharmalingam Sathish, Pillai Rahul, Karuppiah Sathappan, Sahajanandan Raj, George Gladdy. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia. Jan-March, 2016, Vol. 19 Issue 1, 152
- Externalized guide wires to facilitate fenestrated endograft deployment in the aortic arch. G Joseph, P Premkumar, VS Thompson, M Varghese, D Selvaraj, R Sahajanandan. Journal of Endovascular therapy 2015: 1-12.
- Role of transoesophageal echocardiography in peri-operative management of cardiac hydatid cyst. Sathappan Karuppiah, Satishkumar Dharmalingam, Raj Sahajanandan, Gladdy George. Indian J Anaesthesia 2015: 59 (11); 753 -54.
- The role of point-of-care assessment of platelet function in predicting postoperative bleeding and transfusion requirements after coronary artery bypass grafting. P K Mishra, J Thekkudan, Raj Sahajanandan, M Gravenor, S Lakshmanan, K M Fayaz, H Luckraz. Annals of cardiac anesthesia 2015: Vol 18 (1) : 45 -51
- Intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography assessment of right atrial myxoma resulting in a change of the surgical plan. S.K Dharmalingam, Raj Sahajanandan. Annals of cardiac anesthesia 2014: Vol 17 (4): 306-8.
- Carcinoid heart disease secondary to ovarian tumour: a logical sequence of management? Raj Sahajanandan, S Lakshmanan, S Hester, M Norrell, P Strouhal, D Murphy, H Buch,J S Billing. SAJAA 2013; 19 (4): 224-26.
- Review Article: Regional anesthesia in patients with pregnancy induced hypertension. Saravanan P Ankichetty, Ki Jinn Chin, Vincent W Chan, Raj Sahajanandan, Hungling Tan, Anju Grewal, Anahi Perlas . J Anaesth Clin Pharmacol 2013; 29(4): 435 - 444.
- Case report: Raj Sahajanandan, Saravanan PA, P Manickam. Post burn contracture neck with extreme microstomia and fibrosed obliterated nose – A unique airway challenge. J Anaesth Clin Pharmacol 2010; 26(2): 267 -269.
- Case report: Saravanan. P.A, R. Jacob, Raj. Sahajanandan, Anita .S. Joselyn. Paediatric Auto renal transplantation – Anaesthetic Challenge. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia 2009; 59(3): 227-229
- Case report: M.Korula, SaravananPA Raj Sahajanandan. Post intubation stridor. J Anaesth Clin Pharmacol 2009; 25(2): 221-222.
- Case report: M. Ramamani, S.Raj, P. Manickam. Anaesthesia for tracheo-bronchial stenting. A report of two cases. Indian journal of Anaesthesia.2008, Apr (52): 211- 213.
- Case report: Preeta J, Raj. S, Kartikeyan, Tony.T. C. Asystole following profound vagal stimulation during Hepatectomy. Indian Journal of Anesthesia.2008 Feb (52): 81-83.
- Raj.S, Preeta J. Recovery and Discharge of Day Care Surgical Patients. Christian Medical College Alumni Journal.2008 May 42(1): 22-26.
- G. Senthil, S. Raj, JS Dali, R. Anand, C.K. Dua. Comparative Evaluation of preoperative intravenous Dexamethasone and Ondansetron on PONV after Laparoscopic Colecystectomy, American Society of Anesthesiology Abstracts. A – 32, 2000, San Francisco, Oct 14 -18, USA.
- Case Report: Raj S, G. Singh, P. Manickam. Anesthesia for Lung Volume Reduction Surgery in a case of bilateral bullous lung disease. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, 2008; 52 (5): 589 - 92.