Dr Ikram Ali Burney (copy)
Head, women Health Program
Senior Consultant in Medical Oncology Head, women Health Program
Sultan Qaboos Comprehensive Cancer Care and Research CentreAug 2021 – to date
Panjwani Center of Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, Karachi UniversityMarch 2018 – to date
Senior Consultant in Medical Oncology
Christian Medical College, VelloreJun 18 to Mar 22
Professor & Acting head of Cardiac Anesthesia
Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital, OmanSept 2006-Aug 2021
Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital, OmanJan 03-Sept 2006
Lecturer & Consultant Oncologist
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, PakistanApril 97- Jan 2003
Honorary Clinical and research Fellow
Department of Medical Oncology, Southampton University Hospital NHS Trust, Southampton, UKFeb 99 – Nov 99
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, PakistanMay 95 – April 97
Resident in Medicine
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Department of Oncology, Hammersmith Hospital, LondonSept 88 – April 92
Studied for MSc
Royal Post-Graduate Medical School, University of London, UKSept 87 – July 88
Internship in Medicine (6 months) and Surgery (6 months)
Liaquat Medical College hospital, Jamshoro & Hyderabad, Sindh, PakistanJuly 86 – July 87
Univ of London1987-1988
Diplomate of National Board
National Board of Examinations2005
Univ of London1988-1992
Certificate of Training
Aga Khan Univ Hospital1992-1995
Certificate of Training
Aga Khan Univ Hospital1995-1997
Certificate of Training
Southampton University Hospital NHS trust1999
- Field SB; Needham S; Burney IA; Maxwell RJ. Coggle JE; Griffiths JR. Differences in vascular response between primary and transplanted tumours. Br J Cancer. 63: 723-6, 1991
- Field SB; Burney IA; Needham S; Maxwell RJ; Coggle J; Griffiths JR. Are transplanted tumours suitable as models for studies on vasculature? Int J Radiat Biol. 60: 255-60, 1991.
- Burney IA; Maxwell RJ; Griffiths JR; Field SB. The potential for prazosin and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) in causing hypoxia in tumours. Br J Cancer. 64: 683-8, 1991.
- Burney IA; Maxwell RJ; Griffiths JR; Field SB. Deuterium nuclear magnetic resonance imaging of the developmental pattern of tumour blood flow. EXS. 61: 357-61, 1992.
- Field SB; Burney IA; Needham S; Maxwell RJ; Griffiths JR. From hydralazine to CGRP to man? Int J Hyperthermia. 10: 451-5, 1994.
- Burney IA; Maxwell RJ; Field SB; McCoy CL; Griffiths JR. Effect of vasoactive drugs on tumour blood flow as determined by 2H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Acta Oncol. 34: 367-71, 1995.
- Burney IA; and Khurshid M. Severe Thrombocytopenia in a man with Prostatic Cancer JPMA 45:252-54, 1995.
- Burney IA and Malik IA. Chemotherapy – induced non-Hodgkins’ lymphoma – A case report. JPMA. 46:14-15. 1996.
- Kakepoto GN; Bhally S; Khaliq G; Kayani N; Burney IA; Siddiqui T; and Khurshid M. Epidemiology of blood-borne viruses: A study of healthy blood donors in southern Pakistan. South East Asian J Trop Med Hyg. 27: 703-706, 1996
- Islam MU: Burney IA and Khurshid M. All trans retinoic acid syndrome; Radiological features. Acta Radiol. 38:340,1997
- Burney IA. Acute tumour lysis syndrome following treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Southern Med J. 91: 467-70, 1998.
- Burney IA; Islam MU; and Khurshid M. Retinoic acid syndrome: A potentially fatal side effect of Retinoic acid therapy. JPMA 48:57-55,1998.
- Siddiqui T and Burney IA; Doxorubicin Cardiomyopathy in lung cancer patients. JPMA 48: 142-5, 1998.
- Burney IA; Kakepoto GN; Siddiqui T and Khurshid M. All trans retinoic acid in acute promyelocytic leukemia: case series and review of literature. JCPSP 8:17-19,1998.
- Burney IA; Farooqui BJ; Siddiqui T; and Khurshid M. The spectrum of bacteriological infections in neutropenic patients: Effect on empiric antibiotic therapy. JPMA 48: 364-367, 1998.
- Iqbal MP, Sultana F, Mehboobali N, Burney IA, Siddiqui T and Waqar MA. Multiple forms of dihydrofolate reductase in leukocytes of cancer patients with non-hematological malignancies. Bangladesh J Biochem 3: 45-52, 1998
- Bhatti FN, Burney IA, Moid MI, and Siddiqui T. Bacterial Isolates from neutropenic febrile pediatric patients, and their sensitivity patterns to antibiotics. JPMA 48: 287-90, 1998.
- Burney IA., Siddiqui I and Siddiqui T. Elevated CA-125 levels in Pulmonary tuberculosis. (Letter). Cancer 85: 755-6, 1999.
- Adil SN; Burney IA; and Khurshid M. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in visceral leishmaniasis. JPMA 49: 100-101, 1999.
- Siddiqui T, Burney I, Khurshid M. High dose chemotherapy in Hepatocellular carcinoma. (Letter to Editor). Singapore Med J. 1999; 40(2)-124.
- Burney IA., Kakepoto,GN, Qureshi KH, Chandna IE, Adil SN, Siddiqui T, Khurshid M. Use of Colony Stimulating Factors in Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Case Control Study. Med Sci Res 28: 105-107, 2000
- Iqbal MP. Burney IA, Mehboobali N, Sultana F and Siddiqui T. Increased levels of multiple forms of dihydrofolate reductase in peripheral blood leucocytes of cancer patients receiving hematopoeitic colony stimulating factors. Exp Mol Med 32:84-87, 2000.
- Sharieff S, Burney IA, Salam A, Siddiqui T. Lack of correlation between alpha feto-protein and tumor size in hepatocellular carcinoma. JPMA 51:123-4, 2001
- Iqbal MP, Burney IA, Sultana F, Mehboobali N. Induction of white cell proliferation due to hematopoietic growth factors is associated with an increase in multiple forms of dihydrofolate reductase in non-neutropenic cancer patients. JPMA 51:68-71, 2001.
- Sharieff S, Burney IA., Salam A, Haq N and Siddiqui T. Radiological Features of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Southern Pakistan. Tropical Doctor. 31:224-225, 2001.
- Burney IA, Jilani SM, Siddiqui T, Smego RA Jr. An algorithmic approach to the management of febrile neutropenia. Infect Dis J. 10 : 17-21, 2001.
- Anwar A, Naseem S, Burney IA, Khurshid M. Nocardiosis in Cancer patients: Case series and review of literature. Infect Dis J. 10 : 23-25, 2001.
- Burney IA., Khurshaidi N, Hussain T, Bhatti FN, Siddiqui T, Sophie Z, Complications of indwelling venous access devices in cancer patients: A single institution experience. JPMA, 51: 434-437, 2001
- Adil SN, Burney I.A, Kakepoto GN, Khurshid M. Epidemiological features of Aplastic anemia in Pakistan. JPMA, 51: 443-445, 2001.
- Burney IA, Iqbal MP, Islam N. Life threatening bone marrow suppression in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis on low-dose methotrexate. PJMR 40: 104-5, 2001
- Burney IA, Tai JM, Shah S, Khurshid M. Acute Myeloid Leukemia following regression of Sarcoidosis: A case report. PJMR 41: 39-40, 2002
- Sharieff S, Burney IA., Salam A, and Siddiqui T. Hepatocellular Carcinoma. JCPSP 12: 264-67, 2002
- Siddiqui T, Burney IA, Kakepoto GN, Khurshid M, Salam A, Smego RA Jr. Lack of benefit of granulocyte macrophage granulocyte-colony stimulating factor in patients with febrile neutropenia. JPMA, 52:206-8, 2002
- Zaki S, Burney IA, Khurshid M. Acute myeloid leukemia in children in Pakistan: An audit. JPMA, 52: 144-47, 2002
- Siddiqui I, Bhally HS, Niaz Q, Burney IA. Tumor-induced Hypercalcemia- Predictors of early mortality. JPMA, 52: 361-4, 2002
- Kakepoto GN, Burney IA, Adil SN, and Khurshid M. Long-term outcomes of acute myeloid leukemia in adults in Pakistan. JPMA, 52: 482-86, 2002
- Noor A, Biyabani R, Burney IA, and Talati J. Granulamtous Prostatitis after intra-vesical BCG: A case report. JPMA, 52: 578-80, 2002
- Gaffar AA, Haq TU, Pishori T, Burney IA. Role of biliary stenting in iatrogenic jaundice : A case report. JPMA, 52:536-7, 2002
- Burney IA, Moatter T, Siddiqui T. Pathergy in T-cell Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Roy Soc Med, 96: 127, 2003
- Iqbal MP, Mehboobali N, Sultana F, Khan FB, Burney IA, Kakepoto GN. Effect of methotrexate and folinic acid on accumulation of iron in mice tissues. Medical Hypothesis 61:444-5, 2003
- Usman M, Burney IA, Nasim A, Adil SN, Salam A, Siddiqui T, Khurshid M. Outcome of adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a single center experience. JPMA 53: 384-8, 2003
- Burney IA, Salam A, Jat AA, Iqbal MP, Siddiqui T, Smego RA Jr. Comparison of Low-Dose versus Standard-Dose Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Febrile Neutropenia. Oncology 65: 283-84, 2003
- Burney IA, Salam A, Ghaffar AA, Khan BA, Qureshi S. Spinal cord compression secondary to malignancy: An audit from a single institution. Ind J Med Ped Oncol, 24: 13-16, 2003.
- Al-Moundhri M, Nirmala V, Al-Mawaly K, Ganguly S, Burney IA, Rizvi A, Grant C. Significance of p53, Bcl-2, and HER-2/neu protein expression in Omani Arab females with breast cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 9(4):226-31, 2003.
- Alidina A, Gaffar A, Hussain F, Islam M, Vaziri I, Burney IA, Valimohd A, Jafri W. Survival Data and Prognostic factors seen in Pakistani Patients with Esophageal Cancer Ann Oncol 15: 118-22, 2004
- Alidina A, Siddiqui T, Burney I, Jafri W, Hussain F, Ahmed M. Esophageal cancer – A review. J Pak Med Assoc 54(3): 136-41, 2004
- Al-Ubaidi F, Burney IA. An adrenal problem in a young girl. Clinical Biochemistry, 6: 93-94, 2004
- Khan MA, Siddiqui BK, Shamim A, Yosuf MA, Ahmed U, Zakiullah N, Burney IA. Emerging bacterial resistance patterns in febrile neutropenic patients: experience at a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. Jul;54(7):357-60, 2004
- Hamid SS, Burney IA, Abid S, Abbas Z, Shah S, Jafri W. Late presentation and high disease burden leads to poor prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in Pakistan: an eight-year retrospective analysis. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 19():A795, Dec 2004
- Al Moundhri MS, Nirmala V, Al-Hadabi I, Al-Mawaly K, Burney I, Al-Nabhani M, Thomas V, Ganguly SS, Grant C. The prognostic significance of p53, p27(kip1), p21(waf1), HER-2/neu, and Ki67 proteins expression in gastric cancer: A clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study of 121 Arab patients. J Surg Oncol. 15;91(4): 243-52, 2005
- Ahmed S, Burney IA, El-Nour IB. Kikuchi’s Disease in a 9-year-old Girl: Case Report. Ann Trop Paediatr, 25: 219-221, 2005
- Al Moundhri MS, Burney I, Al Bahrani B, Nirmala V, Al Madhani A, Al-Mawaly K, Al-Nabhani M, Thomas V, Ganguly SS, Grant C. The prognostic determinants of gastric cancer treatment outcome in Omani Arab patients. Oncology, 70(2):90-6, 2006.
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al Nabhani M, Al Bahrani B, Burney IA, Al Madhani A, Ganguly SS, Yahyayee SA, Grant CG. Interleukin-1beta gene (IL-1B) and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene (IL-1RN) polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk in an Omani Arab population. Gastric Cancer. 9(4):284-90, 2006.
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Bahrani B, Burney IA, Nirmala V, Al-Madhani A, Al-Nabhani M, Thomas V, Ganguly SS, Grant CS. The clinico-pathological features, treatment and survival of gastric adenocarcinoma in Omani Arab patients. Asia Pacific J Clin Oncol. 2: 137-143, 2006
- Sawhney S, Burney IA, Jain R. Pulmonary infarction: A rare case of adrenal carcinoma. SQUMJ. 7: 55-7, 2007.
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Kindi M, Al-Nabhani M, Al-Bahrani B, Burney IA, Al-Madhani A, Ganguly SS, Tanira M. NAT2 polymorphism in Omani gastric cancer patients-risk predisposition and clinicopathological associations. World J Gastroenterol. 13(19):2697-702, 2007.
- Burney IA, Nirmala V, Al Moundhri MS, Woodhouse NY. Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin’s lymphoma presenting as severe hypercalcemia. SQUMJ. 7:247-251, 2007
- Alsaadi K, Al-Dhuhli H, Hussain S, Burney I. Fused CT/Ga-67 SPECT for detection of pleural lymphoma. SQUMJ. 7:261-262, 2007
- Ur Rehman J, Burney IA, Al Kindi SS, Raeburn S. Familial lymphoma in an Omani kindred with identical class II HLA type. Leukemia and Lymphoma. 49(7):1407-10, 2008.
- Burney IA, Al Moundhri MS, Rizvi SAJ, Ganguly SS, Al Abri R, Ashrafi RA. Outcome as a measure of quality of care in Oncology: SQUH Experience. SQUMJ. 8:27-36, 2008
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Shukaili A, Al-Nabhani M, Al-Bahrani B, Burney IA, RiziviA, Ganguly SS. Measurement of circulating levels of VEGF-A, -C, and -D and their receptors, VEGFR-1 and -2 in gastric adenocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2008 Jun 28;14(24):3879-83.
- Burney IA, and Al Moundhri MS. Major advances in the treatment of cancer: what does a non-oncologist need to know. SQUMJ. 8:137-148, 2008.
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Kindi M, Al-Nabhani M, Al-Bahrani B, Burney IA, Al-Habsi H, Ganguly SS, Tanira M. Combined polymorphism analysis of glutathione S-transferase M1/G1 and interleukin 1ß (IL-1ß)/interleukin 1-receptor antagonist (IL-1RN) and gastric cancer risk in Omani population. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009 Feb;43(2):152-6.
- Ahmed S, Burney IA, Sawhney S, Al Moundhri MS. Gastric adenocarcinoma in association with Tuberous sclerosis. SQUMJ. 9: 75-78, 2009.
- Mathew M, Sheikh S, Rao K, Burney IA, Sawhney S, Al Hamdani A. Metastatic Malignant Melanoma during pregnancy. SQUMJ. 9: 79-83, 2009.
- Ahmed S, Al Kaabi J, Burney IA. Rizvi SAJ. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma mimicking Polymyalgia rheumatica. Oman Medical Journal 23: 189-191, 2009
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Nabhani M, Burney IA, Al-Farsi AA, Al-Bahrani B. Gastric cancer risk predisposition and prognostic significance of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) gene polymorphisms-A case-control study in an Omani population. Mol Carcinog. 48: 1170-76, 2009.
- Mathew M, Burney IA, Al Hamadani A, Rao K. Bilateral breast metastases in a pregnant woman with disseminated cutaneous melanoma. Indian J Cancer. 46: 342-4, 2009.
- Burney IA. The trend to seek a second opinion abroad amongst cancer patients in Oman: Challenges and opportunities. SQUMJ, 9: 260-63, 2009.
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Khanbashi M, Al-Kindi M, Al-Nabhani M, Burney IA, Al-Farsi, A, Al-Bahrani B. Association of E-cadherin (CDH1) gene polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Jul 21;16(27):3432-6.
- Al-Asmi A, Nandhagopal R, Jain R, Burney IA. Full blown picture of Wernicke’s encephalopathy. QJM. 2010 Nov;103(11):891-2.
- Burney IA, Author’s response Re: The trend to seek a second opinion abroad among cancer patients in Oman. SQUMJ. 10: 277, 2010
- Nandhagopal R, Al-Asmi A, Arunodaya GR, Jacob PC, Al-Azri F, Burney IA. Gliomatosis cerebri. QJM. 2011 Jul;104(7):619-20.
- Burney IA. Book Review. Cancer Chemotherapy and Biotherapy: Principles and Practice (Authors: Chabner BA, Longo DL), Published by Wolters Kluwer: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. SQU Med J, 11: 426-427, 2011
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Al-Ajmi A, Al-Moundhri MS. Changing trends of breast cancer survival in sultanate of Oman. J Oncol 2011:316243. 25.
- Al-Mujaini A, Wali U, Ganesh A, Al-Hadabi I, Burney I. Ocular adnexal reactive lymphoid hyperplasia in children. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2012 Oct;19(4):406-9.
- Burney IA, Al-Moundhri MS. From Transplant to Tablets: A paradigm shift in Oncology. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2012 Nov;12(4):402-5.
- Burney AA, Memon S, Ghaffar A, Salam A, Aftab Z, Burney IA. Clinicopathological features and outcomes of gallbladder cancer in southern Pakistan. Medical Channel . 18(1), 17-19 2012
- Qureshi A, Zahid, KF, Azzawi S, Burney IA. Osteosarcoma arising on a background of Paget’s disease report of an unusual case. BMJ Case Reports 2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-007770
- Furrukh M, Burney IA, Kumar S, Zahid KF, Al-Moundhri M. Improving Outcomes in Advanced Lung Cancer: Maintenance therapy in non-small-cell lung carcinoma. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013 Feb;13(1):3-18.
- Ali A, Al Belushi BS, Waly MI, Al Moundhri MS, Burney IA. Dietary and lifestyle factors and risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Oman. Asian Pac J Can Prev. 2013;14(2):841-8.
- Furrukh M, Al-Moundhri M, Zahid KF, Kumar S, Burney I. Customized, Individualized Treatment of Metastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Carcinoma (NSCLC). Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013 May;13(2):202-17.
- Burney IA, Al-Lamki N. Accreditation of Graduate Medical Education Programmes: One size fits all-or does it? Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013 May;13(2):198-201.
- Burney IA, Al-Lamki N. Response to letter. Re: Accreditation of Graduate Medical Education Programmes: One size fits all-or does it? Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013
- Lakhtakia R, Al Wahaibi K, Zahid KF, Malik KA and Burney IA. Solid pseudo-papillary neoplasm of pancreas: A review of the diagnostic dilemma and tumor behavior. Oman Med J. 2013 Nov;28(6):441-4
- Qureshi A, Kumar S, Ismail SI, Al Kalbani M, Burney IA. c-kit negative Extra intestinal gastrointestinal stromal tumor with no detectable mutations: A rare case. J Solid Tumors. 2013; 3:25–9
- Burney IA, and Al Moundhri MS. Lifestyle modification and cancer prevention: Another weapon in war against cancer. Int J Nutr Pharmacol Neurol Dis. 2014 4: 1-3
- Tamimi Y, Al Harthy S, Al Haddabi I, Babiker H, Al Moundhri M, Burney IA. The p53 status in an Omani cohort with diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014;
- 14(1):e50-8. Epub 2014 Jan 27.
- Iqbal MP, Burney IA. Low doses of colony-stimulating factors lead to resolution of neutropenia in cancer patients through increased levels of dihydrofolate reductase. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2014; 27(2): 245-8
- Burney IA, Furrukh M, Al Moundhri MS. What are our options in the fight against breast cancer. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014; 14 (2): 35-37.
- D’Souza, PC, Kumar S, Kakaria A, Al Sukaiti R, Zahid, KF, Furrukh M, Burney IA, Al Moundhri MS. Use of Port-a-cath in cancer patients: A single center experience. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014 Nov 13;8(11):1476-82. doi: 10.3855/jidc.4155
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Al Moundhri MS. Near Complete resolution of refractory, relapsed, metastatic Wilm’s tumor in a young adult with bevacizumab containing chemotherapy. J Coll Surg Phys Pak. 2014 Mar; 24 Suppl 1:S71-2.
- Al Kalbani M and Burney IA. The epidemics of obesity and cancer: no simple remedy. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014; 14 (3): 149-151
- Lakhtakia R, Burney IA. Medical History: A brief history of breast cancer Part III –Tumor biology lays the foundation for medical oncology. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015 Feb;15(1):e34-8.
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Al Moundhri MS. Endocrine therapy for breast cancer – A success story in all treatment settings. Austin J Cancer and Clin Res. 2015 2(4): 1038
- Lakhtakia R, Burney IA. Medical History. A historical tale of two lymphomas: Part-1. Hodgkin Lymphoma. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015; 15(2): 202-206
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Farhan K, D’Souza PC, Al-Belushi M, Mufti T, Al-Meki W, Furrukh M, Al-Moundhri MS. Colorectal cancer: Patients Characteristics, Treatment and Survival in Oman – a single center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2015; 16(12): 4853-4858
- Lakhtakia R, Burney IA. Medical History. A historical tale of two lymphomas: Part-2.Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015 15(3): 317-321
- Lakhtakia R, Burney IA, Qureshi A, Al Azawi S, Al Badi H, Al Hajri S. Unveiling cancer. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015 15(3): 405-410
- Udayakumar A, Al- Bahri M, Burney IA, Al-Haddabi I. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma: Complex cytogenetics findings with typical Ultrastructural, Immunophenotypical and histological features. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015 15(3): 411-414
- Tamimi Y, Gupta I, Al Moundhri MS, Burney IA. Micrometastatic circulating tumor cells; A challenge for an early detection and better survival rates. J Carcinogen Mutagen. 2015; 6:4 doi: 10.4172/2157-2518.1000229
- Lakhtakia R, Burney IA. Medical History. Self experimenting physicians: Mavericks or Martyrs. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015; 15(4): 401-404
- Furrukh M, Burney I, Qureshi A, Lakhtakia R Cancer of Unknown Primary Site: Not All is Lost!. J Clin Diagn Res 2015; 3: 115. doi:10.4172/2376-0311.1000115
- Dobretsov S, Tamimi Y, Al-Kindi MA, Burney I. Screening for Anti-Cancer Compounds in Marine Organisms in Oman. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2016; May;16(2):e168-74.
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Saparamadu PAM, De’Silva C, Disseminated Kaposi’s Sarcoma in an Immunosuppressed Patient after Long-term Inhaled and Systemic Steroids therapy. J Coll Phys Surg Pak. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2016 Nov;26(11):135-136. doi: 226..
- Qureshi A, Gowri V, Burney I, Al Kalbani M. Papillary mesothelioma of peritoneum involving fallopian tube: A challenging case. J Solid Tumors. 2017: 7: doi: 10.5430/jst.v7n1p20.
- Burney IA. Immunotherapy in Cancer: Incremental gain or a quantum leap (editorial). Oman Med J. 2017;. 32(1): 3-4.
- Gupta I, Burney I, Al-Moundhri MS, Tamimi Y. Molecular genetics complexity impeding research progress in breast and ovarian cancers. Mol Clin Oncol. 2017 Jul;7(1):3-14. doi: 10.3892/mco.2017.1275.
- Burney IA, Lakhtakia R. Precision Medicine: Where have we reached and where are we headed? (editorial) Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2017 Aug;17(3):e255-e258. doi: 10.18295/squmj.2017.17.03.001
- Furrukh M, Kumar S, Zahid KF, Al-Shamly HS, Al-Jabri, Burney IA, Al-Moundhri MS. Trends and Outcomes of Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer in Omani Patients: Experience at a university hospital. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2017 Aug;17(3):e301-e308. doi: 10.18295/squmj.2017.17.03.007.
- Kumar S, Raouf ZR, Al Moundhri MS, Saparamadu PAM, Ibrahim SI, Al Kindy N, Burney IA. Massive gastrointestinal bleeding from choriocarcinoma of the ovary. Oman Med J. 2018 Nov;33(6):527-530. doi: 10.5001/omj.2018.96.
- Al-Sharbati ZM ; Burney IA; Hallas C; Al-Farsi YM; Al-Farsi OA; Gupta I; Al-Moundhri M; Farrukh M; Abdulmunem E; Al-Bahrani B; El-Bouri M; Al-Adawi S. Prevalence of depression and anxiety among patients with cancer in two major hospitals in Oman: a cross-sectional survey. Accepted for publication
- Boulassel MR, Al Qarni Z, Burney IA, Khan H, Al Zubaidi A, Al Naamani A, Al Hinai H, Al Badi A, Qureshi R, Panjwani V, Al Farsi K. Levels of regulatory T cells and invariant natural killer cells and their associations with regulatory B cells in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Mol Clin Oncol. 2018 Dec; 9(6):677-682. doi: 10.3892/mco.2018.1732.
- Zahid KF, Kumar S, Al Baimani K, Ahmed T, Al Ajmi A, Burney IA, Al Moundhri M. Outcome of Omani Women with Breast Cancer-associated Brain Metastases Experience from a University Hospital. Oman Med J. 2019; 34(5): 412-419
- Kumar S, Furrukh M, Al Baimani K, al Ajmi A, Burney IA and Al Moundhri MS. Outcomes of women with non-metastatic triple-negative breast cancer in Oman. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2019; 19(3): 209-216
- Lakhatakia R, Burney IA. For whom the bell does not toll: the invisible saga of cancer caregivers. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2019; 4: 275-276.
- Al Shaaibi R, Burney IA. Motives for medical tourism amongst cancer patients in Oman: A perspective from patient’s point of view. The Journal of Global Health at Columbia University 2019; 9(1). http://www.ghjournal.org/motives-for-medical-tourism-amongst-cancer-patients-in-oman-a-perspective-from-patients-point-of-view/
- Malgundkar S, Burney I, Moundhri M, Al Kalbani M, Lakhtakia R, Okamoto A, Tamimi Y. FAT4 silencing promotes epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and invasion via regulation of YAP and β-catenin activity in ovarian cancer. BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 374. doi.org/10.1186/s12885-020-06900-7
- Boulassel MR, Burney IA, Al wardy N, Habbal O, Al Rawas O. Students Perceived Benefits of Integrating a BSc in Health Sciences within a Medical Degree at Sultan Qaboos University. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2020; 20(2): 187-193
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Satyapal S, Kunju J, Al Marhoon MS, Siddiqui KM. Clinicopathological features, treatment and outcomes of Omani patients with localized prostate cancer. Arab J Urol. 2020. DOI: 10.1080/2090598X.2020.1781386
- Al Bahlani S, Burney IA, Al Dhahi B, Al Kharusi S, Al Kharousi F, Al Kalbani A, Ahmed I. Boswellic acid sensitizes gastric cancer cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis via p53-mediated pathway. BMC Pharamcol Toxicol 2020; 21:64. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40360-020-00442-1
- Al Naamani K, Al Hashmi Z, Al Siyabi O, Al Moundhri M, Al Bahrani B, Al Sinani S, Al Zakwani I, Omar H, Al Busafi S, Al Zauhaibi H, Al Mamamri A, Kamath BR, Al Kalbani A, Burney IA. Hepatocellular carcinoma in Oman: An analysis of 284 cases. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2020; 20(3): 316-322.
- Burney IA, Al Sulaimi J, Al Kalbani M, Gowrie V, Zahid F, Kumar S, Furrukh M, Rizvi SG, Al Moundhri MS. Long-term outcomes of Pregnancy-Associated Breast Cancer: A Single Institution Experience. Liaquat National Journal of Cancer Care 2020; 2(2): 39-44.
- D’Souza PC, Kumar S, Kakaria A, Al Sukaiti R, Al Baimani K, Hamid RS, Mittal AK, Burney IA, Al Moundhri MS. Complications and Management of Totally Implantable Central Venous Access Ports in Cancer Patients at a University Hospital in Oman. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2021; 21(1): e103–e109
- Malgundkar SH, Burney I, Al Moundhri M, Al Kalbani M, Lakhtakia R, Okamoto A, Tamimi Y. E2F5 Promotes the Malignancy of Ovarian Cancer Via the Regulation of Hippo and Wnt Pathways. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2021 Mar;25(3):179-186.
- Burney IA, Abdwani R, Al Hashmi K, Al Wardi N, Al Saadoon M. COVID-19 and the clinical phase of the MD curriculum: Challenges and the way forward. Sultan Qabood Med J. 2021. 21(2): 191-194
- Al Maqrashi Z, Burney IA, Al Sawafi Y, Taqi KM, Qureshi A, Lakhtakia R, Mehdi I, Al Bahrani B, Kumar S, Al Moundhri M. Clinico-pathological features and outcomes of gastrointestinal tumors (GIST) in Oman. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2021. 21(2): 237-243
- Burney IA, Al Hadhrami A, Kakaria A. Complete response to Sorafenib in locally recurrent, unresectable aggressive fibromatosis. Sultan Qaboos Med J. 2021. 21(2): e327-328.
- Labrague LJ, Al Sabei SD, AbuAlRub RF, Burney IA, Al Rawajfah O. Authentic leadership, nurse assessed patient events and quality of care: The mediating role of nurses’ safety actions. Journal of Nursing Management. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.13356
- Abdullah N, Tamimi Y, Dobretsov S, Balushi N, Shukeili J, Al Balushi H, Alkindi M, Hassan SI, Al Bahlani S, Tsang B, Burney IA. Malformin-A1 (MA!) sensitizes chemoresistant ovarian cancer cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis. Molecules. 2021. 26, 3624. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26123624
- Al Sabei SD, AbuAlRub RF, Labrague LJ, Burney IA, Al Rawajfah O. The impact of perceived nurse’s work environment, teamness, and staffing levels on nurse-reported adverse patient events in Oman. Nursing Forum. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12639
- Labrague LJ, Al Sabei SD, Al Rawajfah O, AbuAlRub RF, Burney IA,. Authentic leadership and nurses’ motivation to engage in leadership roles: The mediating effects of nurse work environment and leadership self-efficacy. Journal of Nursing Management. August 2021. Doi.10.1111/jonm.13448
- Kumar S, Al Balushi M, Dsouza PC, Burney IA, Al Moundhri M. Beliefs and Perceptions about Cancer Diagnosis, Treatment Seeking and Decision-Making Behaviors among Omani Patients with Cancer: A Single Center Study. 2021. J Relig Health. Doi.org/10.1007/s10943-021-01381-9
- Abdullah N, Al Balushi N, Hassan SI, Al Bahlani S, Dobrestsov S, Tamimi Y, Burney IA. Hymenialdisine is cytotoxic against cisplatin-sensitive but not against cisplatin-resistant cell lines. Sultan Qaboos Med J. 2021; 21(4): 632–634. https://doi.org/10.18295/squmj.4.2021.049
- Al Saifee S, Al Adawi B, Burney IA. Patterns of Bacterial Isolates and their Resistance to Antibiotics in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Febrile Neutropenia at a University Hospital. Oman Med J. July 2021, 36(4):e290-e290
- Al Hinai M, Gupta I, Lakhtakia R, Al Kalbani M, Burney I, Al Moundhri M, Okamoto A, Tamimi Y. Epigenetic Silencing of FBXW7 through Promotor Hypermethylation in Ovarian Cancer. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. Accepted for publication
- Labrague LJ, Al Sabei SD, Al Rawajfah O, AbuAlRub RF, Burney IA, Interprofessional collaboration as a mediator in the relationship between nurse work environment, patient safety outcomes and job satisfaction among nurses. Journal of Nursing Management. October 2021. DOI:10.1111/jonm.13491
- Azribi F, Abdou E, Dawood E, Ashour m, Kamal A, Al Sayed M, Burney I. Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 pathogenic sequence variants in ovarian cancer patients in the Gulf region: the PREDICT study. BMC Cancer. Dec 2021. DOI: 10.1186/s12885-021-09094-8
- Arafa M, Al Riyami M, Al Shukri M, Burney I, Mahfouz Y, Al Kindi N. Bilateral gonadoblastoma overgrown by dysgerminoma of the right gonad in a patient with Swyer syndrome. Medica- A Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2021; 16(4): 734-737
- Kumar S, Burney IA, Kunju J, Al Marhoon MS, Siddiqui KM. Clinicopathological features, treatment and outcomes of Omani patients with metastatic prostate cancer. Oman Med J. 2022. DOI 10.5001/omj.2021.117
- Jayakrishnan, Al Moundhri, M, Burney I, Al Hashmi Z, Al Bimani K. Pulmonary toxicities of immune checkpoint inhibitors in the management of cancer: mini review. Adv Respir Med. 2022; 90: 219-229
- Al Sabei SD, Al Rawajfah O, AbualRub R, Labrague LJ, Burney IA. Nurses’ job burnout and its association with work environment, empowerment and psychological stress during COVID-19 pandemic. Int J Nurs Practice. 2022: 1-10. DOI: 10.1111/ijn.1307
- Burney IA, Al Sharbati ZM, Al Rawahi Z, Al Hatmi S, Rizvi SG, Boulassel MR. A Comparison of Two Scales to Determine Prevalence of Mood Disorders in Omani Patients Recently Diagnosed with Cancer. Asia Pac J Can Prev 2022; 23(7):2367-2373. DOI: 10.31557/APJCP.2022.23.7.2367
- Al Balushi N, Hassan SI, Abdullah N, Al Dhahli B, Al Bahlani S, Ahmed I, Tsang BK, Dobretsov S, Tamimi Y, Burney IA. Addition of Gallic Acid Overcomes Resistance to Cisplatin in Ovarian Cancer Cell Lines. Accepted for publication. Asia Pac J Can Prev
- Khan SA, Burney IA. Managing the backlog of cancer care due to COVID-19: A Perspective from low-to-middle income countries (LMICs). Accepted for publication. LNJCC
- Burney IA, Al Sabei S, Al Rawajfah O, Labrague LJ, AbualRub R. Determinants of Physicians’ Job Satisfaction: A national multi-center study from the Sultanate of Oman. Accepted for publication. SQUMJ
- Jahan F, Ahmed N, Burney IA. Teaching, Learning and Assessment of Professionalism in Medical education: A citation-based systematic review of literature. Accepted for publication.
Books and chapters in books
- Burney IA; Maxwell RJ; Griffiths JR; and Field SB. Clinical potential for the use of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) as a modifier of tumour blood flow. In, Radiation Research: A Twentieth Century Perspective. Chapman JD, Dewey WC, and Whitmore GF. (eds). Volume 1: 38,29. Academic Press Inc, San Diego. 1991.
- Field SB; Burney IA; Needham S; Maxwell RJ; Coggle JE; and Griffiths JR. Relevance of transplanted tumour models for studies relating to tumour vasculature. In, Radiation Research: A Twentieth Century Perspective. Chapman JD, Dewey WC, and Whitmore GF. (eds). Volume 1:38,30. Academic Press Inc, San Diego. 1991.
- Burney IA. Clinical potential of reduction in tumour blood flow. PhD thesis. 1992.
- Burney IA; Farooqui BJ, and Khurshid M. Bacterial Isolates in neutropenic patients: A retrospective analysis. In basic and applied research in health care and social development (eds) Shah BH; Gilani A; Qureshi AF; and Orchard C. PP183-187,1997.
- Burney IA; Hasan I, Hyder J, Salahuddin I, and Malik IA. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancers. In basic and applied research in health care and social development (eds) Shah BH; Gilani A; Qureshi AF; & Orchard C. PP202-205,1997
- Burney IA; Mead GM. Chemotherapy of testicular cancer. In Treatment options of urological cancer (editor: Jonathan Waxman) Blackwell Science. 305-316, 2002
- Burney IA. Prevention of Common Cancers of the Female Genital Tract. In Bioactive Components, Diet and Medical Treatment in Cancer Prevention (eds) Mostafa Waly, Mohammed Shafiur Rehman, Springer pp161-185, 2018